As part of the show’s 50th anniversary celebration, Sesame Street is hitting the road for a series of live events in various US cities. I’m pretty sure this is the first time the actual Sesame Street Muppets (not the Sesame Street Live costume versions) have gone on a multi-city trip, so it’s pretty exciting.
According to the press release from Sesame Workshop:
Stops on the road trip will unfold over three days, culminating in free Sesame Street festivals where families in each city can enjoy live performances and kid-friendly activities. Sesame Street’s production crew will also travel to each city, filming a new segment that will capture what local kids love about their communities. The segment will be part of Sesame Street’s 50th season, premiering in November on HBO. While in town, Big Bird, Elmo, and friends will visit local landmarks and community organizations.
How about that? They’re commemorating season 50 by creating new material that will be incorporated into season 50, which is the season they’re commemorating. Far out! Also, three days is a nice, long festival! It’s like Woodstock but with furry creatures singing. Actually, it’s exactly like Woodstock!
Here’s the itinerary:
- New York, NY: Saturday, June 1st
- Washington, DC: Saturday, June 8th
- Pittsburgh, PA: Saturday, June 15th
- Detroit, MI: Saturday, June 22nd
- Chicago, IL: Saturday, June 29th
- Dallas, TX: Saturday, July 6th
- Kansas City, MO: Saturday, July 13th
- Denver, CO: Saturday, July 20th
- Seattle, WA: Saturday, July 27th
- Los Angeles, CA: Saturday, August 3rd
Mark your calendars!
by Ryan Roe – Ryan@ToughPigs.com