A while back, I saw some social media posts by Tough Pigs pal Jogchem Jalink in which he was watching season one of The Muppet Show in order and tracking each Muppet performer’s first line onscreen. Such a nifty, nerdy thing to do!
And it got me to thinking: I wonder if most Muppet fans would be able to correctly identify the first lines uttered by all the major characters from The Muppet Show. So I consulted Muppet Wiki, watched some episodes on Disney Plus, and came up with what I’m fairly certain is an accurate list of each character’s first line. Muppet Wiki admin and Tough Pigs contributor Shane Keating helped me with some all-important fact-checking.
Here’s the quiz! Twenty-seven lines, twenty-seven characters. Can you match them up? You can also find it by clicking here!
A few notes:
- Firsts are determined by production order, as seen on Muppet Wiki. This is also the current order of episodes on Disney Plus. I think.
- Yes, I’m aware that a number of these characters predate The Muppet Show, so their first-ever lines in the history of the universe would be different. This is a quiz about their first lines specifically on The Muppet Show. If anyone out there wants to make a quiz about the same Muppets’ first lines ever, where Rowlf’s first line is is “Mmm, Purina Dog Chow is good foods!” or whatever, I encourage you to do so.
- If you’re not sure about one, you can temporarily skip to the next one.
- Each line is also accompanied by the episode in which it appears. This should help you a little, if you’re a certain type of nerd.
- A few characters sang before they spoke, so their first lines are actually song lyrics. Where that’s the case, the line says “(singing)” at the beginning.
- I tried to include a wide selection of characters, but I probably forgot a few. I’m sorry if I forgot your favorite.
Thanks again to Jogchem Jalink and Shane Keating! Click here to let me know how you scored on the Tough Pigs forum!
by Ryan Roe – Ryan@ToughPigs.com